+48 733 713 133 hello@investya.pl

What is a Work Permit?

A work permit is an official document that allows a non-citizen to legally work in a country where they are not a citizen or permanent resident. Typically issued by the government, a work permit is usually tied to a specific job or employer.

Also known as a work visa or work authorization, the requirements and procedures for obtaining a work permit vary depending on the country and the type of work involved. In some cases, the employer must sponsor the employee’s work permit application, providing evidence of the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The applicant may also need to undergo a medical examination, provide a criminal record check, and show proof of financial support.

In general, a work permit allows the holder to work legally in the issuing country for a specified period, ranging from a few months to a few years. It may also permit travel in and out of the country and allow the holder to bring family members, depending on specific regulations.

Who needs a Work Permit?

Foreign nationals who are not citizens of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) and who want to work in Poland generally need a work permit. Some exceptions apply for certain categories of workers, such as highly skilled professionals, researchers, or entrepreneurs.

The following categories of foreign nationals generally require a work permit to work in Poland:

  • Non-EU/EEA nationals without a permanent residency permit in Poland.
  • EU/EEA nationals who do not have the right to work in Poland under EU law, such as self-employed individuals or students working more than 20 hours per week.
  • Family members of non-EU/EEA nationals without a permanent residency permit in Poland who want to work.
  • Seasonal and posted workers from non-EU/EEA countries.

Types of Work Permits in Poland

In Poland, there are two main types of work permits available for non-EU citizens:

  1. Type A Work Permit: Issued for a specific employer and job position, typically valid for up to 3 years. It cannot be transferred to another employer or job position without obtaining a new permit.
  2. Type B Work Permit: Issued for a specified period (up to 1 year) and allows the holder to work for any employer in Poland within a specific field or profession. The holder can change employers or job positions within the same field without a new permit.

Additionally, special categories of work permits are available for certain groups:

  • Seasonal Work Permit: For individuals working in Poland during specific seasons for up to 6 months.
  • IT Specialist Work Permit: For individuals with specialized skills and qualifications in the IT sector.
  • Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit: For employees of multinational companies being transferred to Poland from a branch office in another country.
  • EU Blue Card: For highly skilled non-EU workers with a job offer in Poland who meet specific qualifications.

Do you need support with Work Permits?

At Investya, we are dedicated to providing expert advice and assistance to our clients. For more information, reach out to us at hello@investya.pl or use the contact form below.

How we can help you?








12 + 13 =


+48 733 713 133 / +48 733 173 733

☗ ul. św. Anny 9 (3rd Floor)

31-008 Cracow, Poland

Facebook Linkedin



☎ phone +48 733 713 133 / +48 733 173 733

☗ św. Anny 9 (3rd Floor) 
31-008 Cracow, Poland

Facebook Investya

Linkedin Investya

10 + 1 =

× How can we help you?